Sunday 24 March 2013

3 weeks to go

This week has been the real start to my training, and in lots of ways it's been like when I first started running. I have been running in five finger barefoot shoes for the last 2 years and absolutely love them. I've had no injuries or sore glutes ( bum muscles) just tight calves. I've had some great advice from Matt Mahoney, who runs with the British Ultra-marathon team ( thanks Matt). One piece of advice I got, was that I needed to go back to normal road shoes as I will need to be carrying weight and barefoot shoes wouldn't offer me any support from the hot Sahara desert.
Im an over pronator, so I am now running in Saucony Fasttwitch 5 shoes. This week has seen the return of the dreaded black toe nail

                                                             Runners black toe nails

Fitness tip #1      Make sure your footwear and clothing are suitable for the running you are doing. This may take some trial and error, but will be worth it in the long run (s'cuse the pun).

With just over 2 years to go, I'm going to start a diary of my journey from my current level of running  to that of a runner capable of running the Marathon de Sable.

If you are reading this and it inspires you to take up running, please follow me on my journey and hopefully the experiences that I encounter will help you to achieve your goals.

Diary of a Long distance runner

Week 1


Monday 18th March 2013     6 mile steady run with Paula, all road, weather cold but dry. Trying hard to keep at a constant pace.
Paula
Wednesday 20th March 2013  10 mile steady run on my own, all road, very windy and cold with a snow fall half way round. managed a constant pace.

Saturday 23rd March 2013  17miles all on concrete. cold, windy with a blast of snow at 7 miles. This needed some switching off in my brain to get round, and some good music.


The weather is freeeeeezing and  is not ideal at the moment, Paula is feeling especially demotivated, when it comes to running. So please please please if you see her or me can you sponsor Paula for the Great North Run in September. This will jump start her back on track.

Speaking of Sponsorship.........      3 weeks to go!!!!! until my Giving site goes live. Watch this space



No comments:

Post a Comment